From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
David Cole
Sent: Thursday, October 5, 2023 6:43 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Assembler access to USS functions

Hi Jon, Hi Peter,

I must say, your insights have been quite helpful. Thank you!

Jon, You raise a good point. I neglected to say why I wanted to get

at the environment variables. Ok, here's why...

Classic z/XDC uses keyword ddnames as a very easy way to pass a fair

number of processing settings  into z/XDC. It's easy for the user to

use, and it's super easy for z/XDC to find.

We are considering writing a XDCUSS[A] analog to XDCCALL[A], and we'd

like to continue using the keyword ddname approach for passing

settings into z/XDC.

    * However, my developer says that's not feasible, so I'm looking

for alternative approaches.

    * To my naive mind, it seems to me that environmental variables

could be such an alternative.

    * However, my developer says that environmental variables, while

available to C programs, are unavailable to assembler.

    * I find that astonishing.

My developer has had little prior experience with USS; however, he is

an extraordinarily quick study, and has assimilated a lot of

knowledge in a very short time. Nevertheless, I thought I'd appeal to

the broader community in the hopes of learning what more experienced

minds have to say.

So our initial goal is to use environment variables for z/XDC's

internal control purposes.

But once that is accomplished, the broader purpose of providing

displays to the user will probably be undertaken.

Dave

At 10/5/2023 02:22 AM, Jon Perryman wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 05:46:48 +0000, Farley, Peter

><peter.far...@broadridge.com> wrote:

> >Why does any programmer need to care where the environment

> variables are stored?

>Normally, I would agree but XDC is a very special case with very

>broad requirements. As a full z/OS system debugger, Dave Cole has

>many requirements that are atypical. E.g. does he want the ability

>to display environment variables from all processes instead of just

>the process being debugged? He also has restrictions such as

>debugging SRB, SVC, PC routines and more. More than likely, he

>doesn't want to use SRB's & IRB's to gather the data when access

>registers are simpler.

attachments from your system.