> On Sep 4, 2023, at 12:36 AM, Brian Westerman <brian_wester...@syzygyinc.com>
> wrote:
>
> I think even the ones that abuse the list the most still provide assistance
> from time to time that is very useful.  I completely understand that
> oftentimes they want the person to RTFM, which makes a lot of sense because
> you also don't want the list to become a primary school.  The "new guys" need
> to learn how to use the manuals and I think the "old guys" are trying to, in
> their own way, help them to see that using the manuals and figuring stuff out
> is a good thing.  Where it becomes an issue is when the newbie honestly can't
> figure it out and may have truly tried to find the solution on their own.
>
> It might be helpful for them, in fact everyone, to disclose what you have
> already tried or read about, that way everyone will see that they are trying
> and won't just kiss them off as using the list instead of manuals (and the
> internet) as opposed to using it in conjunction with attempting to learn.
>
> Sometimes they may have actually read the solution, but just don't see it as
> such, and by disclosing what they have tried so far will allow people to let
> them know where they missed something.  I think that no one likes to think
> that the guy asking the question is not even really trying to work the
> problem.  But without disclosing the path they are currently on, we have no
> way to know otherwise.
>
> Just a thought.
>
> Brian
>
> -

> Brian:
I had a situation years ago. We were looking for a entry level systems
programmer. I came up with a simple request to write an assembler program in as
short of statements as possible. I handed it to the third interviewee and asked
for the answer the next day as I wanted to get to know the guy a little before
hiring him.

This was in the 1990’s (early) IIRC. I was new to IBM-MAIN and was getting to
know the contributors. When I got home that evening I looked at the email for
the list and was surprised when I saw the candidate  that I had handed the
quick quiz to. He asked the question I had a posed and wanted someone to help
him out.
The next day he dropped off the answer to the question with a very short (well
written) answer.

I looked at him and asked who on IBM-MAIN helped him out. He was surprised that
I was on IBM-Main as well. He said no one, but I pushed back a little and he
said finally a couple of people on here had helped him out a little. I thanked
him and as he left I threw “his” answer in the trash can. I finally after about
15 interviews hired a person, who worked out well and I was happy to see him
get promoted almost on a yearly basis. I ended up leaving the company as they
want to move to Florida to get cheap labor. I hated to leave as the company up
until I left had excellent education offerings and 4 weeks every year of
vacation and other great benefits.
Ed