<snip>
That should just be made a syntax error.  I have no sympathy for the
"compatibility" argument.
</snip>

I on the other hand do have sympathy. A highly significant reason that z/OS
still exists (and the same could have been said for its predecessors OS/390 and
MVS) is because of the enormous amount of time and effort we have put into
maintaining as much compatibility as we can. We do not treat incompatibility
lightly. We do try to keep down the number of upgrade actions needed to move to
a new release.

For your concrete suggestions about improving the documentation (such as your
examples), please make them via the appropriate feedback mechanisms, not via a
post on IBM-MAIN.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design