Peter Relson wrote:

>I on the other hand do have sympathy. A highly significant reason that

>z/OS still exists (and the same could have been said for its

>predecessors OS/390 and MVS) is because of the enormous amount of time

>and effort we have put into maintaining as much compatibility as we

>can. We do not treat incompatibility lightly. We do try to keep down

>the number of upgrade actions needed to move to a new release.

+1000. Nobody does compatibility like IBM, and that's A Good Thing that soooo
many other vendors should learn from. Microsoft changes UI elements and
keyboard shortcuts silently with service! And breaks myriad other things, also
without notice.

IBM has been my guiding light in this regard for my 37 (gulp) years at vendors.
When we break something, we try to do it visibly-e.g., a configuration option
that fails at startup, rather than doing something unexpected. And it's
documented, of course, AND in release notes.

Of course this is enterprise software, where folks can be expected to read
release notes; if they don't, my sympathy is low. Consumer stuff, expectations
are somewhat different.

Anyone who's dealt with the Python 2 to Python 3 mess should understand.

...phsiii