On Sun, 29 Oct 2023, at 20:51, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2023 17:08:27 -0700, Tom Brennan wrote:
>
>>In my tests, symlinks (mklink command) needs admin auth to create.  That
>>would scare people I think.
>>
> ???  Feels like a silly restriction.  Is there a reason for it?  Integrity?

If this is the sort of link that lets someone define a sort of shortcut with
one name that points to a file with a completely different name, but
doesn't clearly indicate that (in File Explorer for example) ... then it's
surely something that malware would be likely to do to disguise its
elements.

Bear in mind that Windows already defaults to not showing file
extensions in File Explorer - lunacy in my view.

So it's probably to protect naive users.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.