On Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:51:11 -0500, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Oct 2023 17:08:27 -0700, Tom Brennan wrote:
>
>>In my tests, symlinks (mklink command) needs admin auth to create.  That
>>would scare people I think.
>>
>???  Feels like a silly restriction.  Is there a reason for it?  Integrity?

Most likely security. Hard symlinks use inode bypassing the original file/path
auth. Additionally, deleting the original file leaves the file available thru
the hardlink potentially referencing outdated data. Softlink redirects the file
to another location with authorization that is not always apparent. As for
silly restriction, you'll need to decide for yourself.