That WAS fun!

I preceded that author by, I think, barely a year; I waffled around, changed
majors twice (Religion, then Music, then Accounting), and reluctantly took
one computer-programming class (PL/C) in the summer of 75.  It was NOT
boring, it was incredibly cool and I was instantly hooked.

Punch cards didn't seem onerous to me because I hadn't yet imagined anything
better.  I learned the technical tricks of the 029 (I don't know, there must
have been some, no?), then learned how much better the 129 was and thought
it was 'way cooler.  When not doing homework I sat at a teletype, taught
myself Basic and FORTRAN, and saved my work on paper tape.  My fiancée
resented the inordinate amount of time I spent amusing myself writing
useless games and utilities just because I could.  I finished my degree in
Accounting but went straight into programming jobs after graduation.  It was
a long time before I stopped using my flowcharting template, and years more
before I stopped feeling guilty about coding on the fly without flowcharting
first.

So, yeah, I'm happy not to use punch cards now, but I didn't think to
dislike them then.  I'm even happier not to have to plug a phone handset
into a modem - but at the time, typing up my long, long letters
electronically and sending them over a modem to my best friend at the other
end of the country was an enormous improvement over sitting at my desk and
writing them out with a fountain pen.

And while we're on the subject, anyone else remember having to establish
communication parms over a modem?  You had to agree with the other end about
parity bits, and about some kind of echo that I'm pretty sure we called
"single" or "double" .... something.  Single was when my own terminal
displayed the key I typed immediately; "dual" or "double" was when it waited
until it was echoed back from the other end.  The lag was the downside of
double; the advantage was that I could see what character actually made the
trip across the chancy phone lines, and could correct errors more reliably.
What was that called?  I forget.

Oh, and the modem protocols: XMODEM, YMODEM, Kermit and the like.  I
remember when I first got a 2400-baud modem; it transferred text so
blindingly fast that I almost couldn’t read the text as it scrolled on my
screen!  For the  first time it might be practical to send a 100K file, if
you could spare an hour or two!

---

/* It's extremely difficult to distinguish a Canadian from an American.  In
fact the most reliable way of doing so is to make that observation in the
presence of a Canadian.  -attributed at the Gunroom to a "British man of
letters" */