From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2023 5:21 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Is True Skip-Sequential Processing Possible with RECFM=FB,DSORG=PS?

On 11/11/23 06:59:07, David S. wrote:
> To help resolve a question posted to a LinkedIn group I manage:
> http://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:groupPost:910927-7128598004344786944
> ... I'd like to find out if there's any way to achieve *true*
> Skip-Sequential processing with a Fixed Block Sequential File with a fairly
> short record length (i.e. DCB=(DSORG=PS,RECFM=FB,LRECL=80)?
> For example: Begin sequential processing at record number 100, *without*
> having to read the first 99 records.

This feels like a job for DSFS.
<https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/3.1.0?topic=zos-data-set-file-system-dsfs>

UNIX readily solves the problem with seek() and DSFS is supposed
to mimic a UNIX file with the content of a Classic data set.

Where's the User's Guide for DSFS?

Is the skip count fixed, or is it dynamic, varying up or down
with successive executions of your program?

--
gil