From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Dean Kent <drke...@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, December 4, 2023 9:32 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Assembler programmer wanted

You are a person.  People have rights, objects do not.    The company
can require that you assign them the rights to any invention created
using the things they paid for - computers, software, offices, books.
Training/experience is more of a gray area in my mind.

Note that software used to be copyrightable - not patentable. That
changed in the 80s, I believe.   If you've ever looked into patenting
something, you would see that the inventor has to be a person (not a
company) - while the assignee is the 'owner' of the property.

That's my recollection and understanding.