Tom B wrote
<snip>
I was referring to my experience with a JES2 exit which setup its own
recovery routine.  In that code you could see it free any getmain'd
memory, etc. like you mentioned.  But also in that code was an error
that caused an 0C4.  So when the x'00' I added for temporary debugging
ran that user-coded recovery routine, I was surprised to get an 0C4
instead and had to fix the recovery routine.

So of course JES2 had its own recovery routine in place that handled
the 0C4 and we got a dump and JES2 went on its merry way, perhaps after
disabling that exit (I can't remember).
</snip>

I took a weird view of what I suspect you really meant by "0C4 instead". I'm
now thinking
you just meant that you were surprised that the recovery routine did not
complete successfully.
But in case you were thinking of what happened to come to my mind, here's some
info:

When the x'00' "instruction" was executed, it would have gotten an operation
exception
and the most recently established recovery routine (see "special-case" below)
would have gotten control for the 0C1.
Its SDWA would have shown that. And TCBCMPC would be x'0C1000'.

If that recovery routine then took some exception that resulted in an 0C4, a
newer recovery routine (established by this recovery routine) or, in the
absence of such, the next-oldest recovery routine would have gotten control for
the 0C4. Its SDWA would have shown that . TCBCMPC would now be x'0C4000'.

Special-Case: if you have established SPIE/ESPIE for a program interrupt, that
exit will get control even if there is a newer-established ESTAE-type recovery
routine.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design