Yeah, the stuff I said there, plus... we see data from a lot of systems.
Periodically I sample that data for interesting values, including what the SMF
interval is. Historically that has been 15 minutes for right around 90% of the
systems we see. Next most popular is 30 minutes in about 5% of the customers,
although I actively discourage that when I see it. A few will show up with 5 or
10 minute intervals. And some customers will run with 1 minute intervals for
all or part of the day.

It should be noted that on the creation side, the interval only drives the data
storage required and the tiny bit of CPU/IO required to write those records.
But of course when you go to process the data, having more intervals will mean
that processing the data will take longer and consume more resources. That's
usually the bigger concern.

Opinion: In general, if I was running a system today, I'd probably use 5
minutes. Yes, it's 3x the data (vs 15 minutes), but for most systems that
shouldn't really be a problem. And it may better align with your non-mainframe
platforms. The 1 minute intervals are I think overkill, especially given the
data you can get out of the SMF records that have shorter (sub-minute)
intervals like the 99s and 98s. When you have 1 minute SMF intervals, you can
generate a whole lot of SMF 30 interval records. And if you carry that forward
to RMF/CMF, the 74s can get quite voluminous. I'm not saying 1 minute intervals
are never useful, but that's a rather exceptional condition. Day-in, day-out
most customers manage their systems just fine with 15 minute intervals, diving
down to event or shorter interval records (like the 99s) as needed.

Because everything has exceptions... one exception to my above thinking might
be for certain customers with extreme spikes for important events. I believe I
once saw a financial services customer that set a 1 minute interval for a few
minutes around market open/close. That makes sense to me. The "we needed 1
minute intervals for a particular problem we had several years ago and just
left it set to that" makes much less sense to me.

Scott Chapman