Interesting discussion. Some thoughts.

First, it's not "Pervasive Encryption" you're talking about. It's IBM z/OS data
set encryption (DSE). PE is the IBM encryption strategy. When data set
encryption came along, IBM kept calling it PE, but it's just part of PE (the
rest of which hasn't really been that well defined, IMHO).

Paul Gilmartin asked:

>What about Format preserving encryption?

Format-Preserving Encryption is for structured data, i.e., specific fields. You
would not use it on a binary blob; at that point, you'd use XTS or one of the
other AES modes whose output is the same length as the input.

In fact, that leads me to wonder: what mode of AES *is* DSE using? It's AES, we
know that, but it's unclear which mode. Since many modes increase the size of
the data, I'm assuming it's a mode that does not increase the data size. Ah,
this link (PDF):
https://public.dhe.ibm.com/eserver/zseries/zos/DFSMS/ENCRYPTION/OA56622/OA56622.pdf
suggests-though doesn't state explicitly-that it is indeed XTS, with the
ability to switch to some other mode in the future if necessary (good design).

Grant Taylor wrote, in part:
>Conversely encryption is a kind of data authentication / verification.

Um.not unless it's using specific AES modes, like GCM. If it's not expanding
the data, there's nowhere to "fit" any kind of authentication. And per the
above, I'm pretty sure it's (currently) XTS.

He also noted:

>Viruses (for PCs) have been self-decrypting for a long time.

Sure, but there's some code getting invoked to do that. It's not magic. Still
doesn't make it clear why DSE cannot do program objects.

Attila Fogarasi suggests that the reason is simply because DSE requires
extended-format data sets, which libraries aren't. That seems compelling. I
assume the implicit rest of the story is, "IBM put the DSE code only in the
extended-format data set processing code, because reasons".