Programs are data. Keys are data. IEFBR14 code is datum.
However there are different needs and requirements for data.
Auditor always asked me about financial (application) data security. Never about programs. Of course one would like to have everything SECURE. Encryption is on of means. What to encrypt? EVERYTHING.
Is it possible? No.
It is possible to encrypt some kinds of data. For other the encryption can be impossible, too complex or just too expensive in terms of performance.

Would I like to have encrypted programs? Actually I don't care.
IMHO the pervasive encryption provide little advantage when used in properly secured (with RACF) environment. I mean business data. However I understand requirements and implement it everywhere when ordered.

BTW: One of datasets where encryption provide real value is RACF db. Yes, it should be protected. However I have seen many shops (as external consultant) where I was able to copy it or even overwrite. Not to forget about backup copies. With encryption the stolen copy is just unusable. Of course KDFAES makes it much less usable than previously.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland