We looked at dataset encryption to please our auditors.    Just trying to see
the benefit, honestly.    If you are a permitted user of the dataset by any
means, then you have to be permitted to the encryption key profile as well.

So who are you protecting the data from?  Storage managers?  Storage managers
don't need access to datasets to manage them.

Additionally, I think IBM dropped the ball a bit in that nothing stops a
permitted user to copy that data to an un-encrypted dataset.  IMO, once
encrypted any copies inherit the same encryption.

The technology that I see as beneficial is one that I think is in the works
with ibm in that data will never be decrypted including during execution.  I
forget the term used for that.

Other parts of PE we are doing, focusing mostly on encrypted IP connections,
encrypted ficon, and possibly encrypted cf structures.

Dave Jousma

Vice President | Director, Technology Engineering

Fifth Third Bank  |  1830 East Paris Ave, SE  |  MD RSCB2H  |  Grand Rapids, MI
49546

616.653.8429