You talk about fields.
However user see records, not fields. Various records.
Manual editing single records with known fields is easy, however mass change can be risky. Note: as usually *we don't know* what is the author's need. IMHO this is the least active person in this thread.
Without that we can only guess, assume or create very generic models.

Regards
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland