Off-topic, so I changed the subject line.
And while what follows is not TSO nor batch, it *does* fit in USS space, so hopefully I won't get plonked. *:-)*

I've been collecting software in source form for several years. It started as a hobby, but lately looks like a supply chain gap-fill. It's a decent sized body of code. If one is up for running a Linux kernel, you can get a fully self-hosting system with a build environment, including several important server programs (such as the Apache and Nginx web servers).
But a sizable portion compiles and runs just fine on USS.

I would appreciate help finding patches which facilitate the USS build. Most packages need minor tweaks for USS, but otherwise fly smoothly. The list is here ...

https://github.com/trothr/chicory/blob/master/doc/packages.md

It really chaps when some app stops working, "you must upgrade", not exclusive to software-as-a-service. Sometimes a similar thing happens in open source land: the latest OpenSSH required a certain level of OpenSSL that I had trouble with. (The authors can expand dependency hell, and sadly sometimes do.) Mandatory upgrades are usually forced on us in the name of security, but I find that the actual risks are not clearly enumerated and some are insignificant (and I hold a CISSP cert).

This project naturally tends toward open source.
I want to software, in source form, in my own hot little hands.
Download the source code, KEEP YOUR OWN COPY, be ready to fall-back to an older release if needed.

-- R; <><