Tony H wrote:
> Really? Surely there is on-chip crypto hardware that the
> millicode invokes to do much of the work? I can't imagine it's
> just like the millicode implementation of the sort
> instructions or something.

You are correct. The CPACF is a physically separate chip that runs in lockstep
with the CP that invokes it. So, it is does cost general CP but much less than
implementing it in millicode.

> But I think the OP deserves a simple answer: YES. If there's
> no crypto hardware then ICSF will do it all using ordinary
> zArch instructions.

If there is no crypto hardware (no CPACF), ICSF won't start.

> In the early days there was (is?) even an ability to plug your
> own crypto provider software into the back end of ICSF, with
> interface documentation "by request only".

I've been in ICSF for over 25 years. I've never heard of this.

Eric Rossman
ICSF architect