W dniu 07.02.2024 o 12:45, Gadi Ben-Avi pisze:
Hi,
We've been asked to attempt to read a file from a scratched tape.

We use Control-M/Tape as our tape management system.
The tapes are virtual 3490's stored on a TS7770.
The tape has many files, but we only need once specific one.
If it matters, the file is the output of DB/2 backup.

It *CAN* be possible.
1. I don't know Control-T, however in RMM world you should change volume status from SCRATCH to USER. Otherwise RMM (or other TMS) will not allow you to read the tape. 2. Tape in scratch status can be overwritten, reused. For real tape it is matter of human operator or ATL. In VTS world there is some "grace period" where the tape is still kept. After the period there is still chance, but no warranty. 3. BLP and other tricks are NOT applicable here. Of course you need authorities to change tape status and then read it.

HTH

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland