Claude, I have used DFSORT in the past to create reports, usually for
one-off projects.

A few thoughts on the idea of HSM reporting:

1. Detecting migrate/recall thrashing is a good thing to do
2. Reviewing migration and backup failures is probably worthwhile. I've
seen datasets failing to migrate day after day (usually because of invalid
DSORG which can point to datasets being allocated and consuming space but
never, ever opened) and it's wasteful to repeat the same checks and fail
every day.
3. There's a lot of good stuff in DCOLLECT records, too.
4. IBM has an HSM reporting product, Tivoli Advanced Reporting for
DFSMShsm. IMHO, this is overkill but the documentation might give you some
ideas for your own reports.

HTH

Regards