In this case the OP stated that they are PAYING for CPU cycles on a mostly idle
machine, so to me the implication is that they wish to reduce their CPU cost by
reducing idle CPU cycles.

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Allan Staller
Sent: Tuesday, March 5, 2024 1:23 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: How to reduce the overhead of WLM?

Classification: Confidential

The most important resource in most shops is CPU and is usually the critical
factor in WLM adjustments.

Judicious user of SC period and IMPortance is far more effective in controlling
the distribution of CPU.

.

I would not overload SYSSTC with work, this will prevent WLM from servicing
really critical stuff (GRS, XCF, IRLM,..).

However it’s not my dog.

Another thought to the OP. Are you trying to reduce overhead because of a CPU
shortage, or just curious? Think absolute value vs percentage.

In Sandbox environments, very often something like WLM appears to be the
largest consumer of CPU), but in absolute terms it is really minor.

HTH,