Thanks all. The mystery deepens.

Using the same stem variable should not be the problem. I have done that before
successfully, and the sort command documentation talks about how it uses a
temporary file to avoid clobbering the input data if the files are the same.

BUT ... changing to a different stem variable revealed that sort is not
populating my output file at all. The new stem variable was uninitialized after
the sort! THAT is why Index. is unchanged -- sort is not writing to my output
file/stem at all!

So that leaves the question: why is sort not populating my output stem? I know
sort is available and actually running because in one test I fat-fingered the
-k2 and got three messages in stderr.

Why would sort not populate the output stem?

Charles