Binyamin Dissen wrote:
>With IBM planning (planned) dropping support for SNA / 802.3, does that
>mean that application code using LU6.2 will stop working?
>Or will VTAM continue to support LU6.2 code?

IBM is dropping support for “classic” SNA and pre-SNA “wire” protocols
effective with z/OS 3.1 and the machine models after the IBM z16 models,
whichever you deploy first. One important reason is that it’s impossible to
secure these classic wire protocols without breaking compatibility. The best
SNA can do on its own is TDES session-level encryption, and that’s just not
good enough (and hasn’t been for a while).

IBM is *NOT* dropping support for SNA! Just use Enterprise Extender (EE), also
known as SNA over UDP and IETF RFC 2353. Enterprise Extender was first
introduced in OS/390 2.7 in 1999 — a quarter century ago. Every z/OS release
includes Enterprise Extender in the base operating system. Enterprise Extender
can be well secured (we recommend it!), and often you’ll get some performance
benefits. It also supports every link type that UDP supports (pretty much
everything).

SNA also remains available via FICON Channel-to-Channel (CTC) links. FICON CTC
links can be well secured using Fibre Channel Endpoint Security.

Use z/OS Health Check APAR OA62208 to determine whether your z/OS network
configuration needs to be adjusted so that you’re only using Enterprise
Extender, other forms of TCP/IP, and/or FICON CTC links. The PTFs for this APAR
are available for z/OS 2.3, 2.4, and 2.5.

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/apar/OA62208

—————
Timothy Sipples
Senior Architect
Digital Assets, Industry Solutions, and Cybersecurity
IBM Z/LinuxONE, Asia-Pacific
sipp...@sg.ibm.com