Cross-posting this to MVS-OE as a fup to earlier note. TL;DR is that FTPing a
text file back to Windows was getting binary (unreadable) no matter what I'd
tried.

Sorta figured this out, mostly:

> echo woof > txt

> chtag -p txt

t ISO8859-1   T=on  txt

That file transfers fine as *binary*, which  makes sense, since it's apparently
8859-1 on disk. I have other files:

> chtag -p logs/build.log

- untagged    T=off logs/build.log

.that have to be transferred as ASCII, so apparently they're "native" (EBCDIC,
presumably 1047) on disk.

The remaining mystery is what's making a random file created via echo (or
various other things) be ISO8859-1 instead of native EBCDIC?!