Colin Paice wrote:
>It may be interaction with _BPXK_AUTOCVT environment variable, and
>possibly the FILETAG

Hmm. _BPXK_AUTOCVT is ON; setting it to OFF means that a text file tagged as
ISO8859-1 now displays as garbage, which makes sense. IBM-1047 and untagged
files display OK. (It also breaks OS-generated text in my shell prompt, which
is interesting-but not literals in that same prompt.) But it doesn't seem to
affect FTP, which makes sense-how would I set it for an FTP session? Or are you
suggesting setting it for the FTP server? It's not set there unless it's
defaulting.

FILETAG appears to apply only to C/C++. If you meant the tag on the file,
that's what my chtag was tinkering with.

I feel like I'm arguing with you, and I don't mean to-I appreciate the thoughts!