Specifying VOLUME more or less always requires specification of UNIT.  Ignoring SMS altering the historic behavior, there is a "default unitname" associated with each userid.  For ALLOC VOL to work without UNIT, the VOL specified must be within the set of devices covered by that default unitname.

I think it doesn't matter that it's an existing data set.

Why are you specifying VOL for an existing data set???

/Leonard