One primary technical challenge to overcome is to assess how/what SAS is being
used within your enterprise, that being beyond MICS, MXG, or otherwise ?  And
as well you will need/want to ascertain how MICS is (or is not) benefiting your
systems performance user community, that being to include and beyond Z systems
performance / capacity planning / audit-compliance / service /
chargeback-showback or otherwise some type of enterprise mgmt reporting.  And
do consider that you will want to engage management and other team-areas with
making such an assessment, before embarking on any type of "replacement
solution" investigation effort.

For a MICS-to-MXG and/or a SAS-to-Altair(WPS) on z/OS, it is not simply a
matter of drag-and-drop - size matters and likely you will embark on a
months-long migration-effort to some positive outcome, regardless.  Mgmt buy-in
is critical, given the anticipated short-term cost vs say the long-term
software-renewal savings consideration.

But in the end, do realize that it can be done....and has !!

Scott Barry
SBBTech LLC