Most z/OS moderate-to-large sites have fundamental enterprise
reporting/charting requirements which would likely involve detail (find/fix,
problem diagnosis) and also most important summary (trending, service-level,
chargeback) at various summary-levels (Hourly, Week/Month by Shift,
Hour-of-Day, etc.) - where also site-unique "reporting buckets" (for
identification, some derived, some from the incoming data-fields) are captured
(at detail-level raw-data input processing time) and used as BY-list or
GROUP-by variables - additionally derived date/time, SHIFT/ZONE, PLEX (based on
SMFID), RMF-constructs, SMS-constructs, and so on.  Furthermore, the
added-functionality to summarize/re-compute on-the-fly and then possibly MERGE
disparate information sources, but based on a common-element structure further
enhances usability and productivity.

This site-specific "derivation process" is where both SAS and Altair/WPS have
significant flexibility with WHERE, IF/THEN DO/END / SELECT/WHEN/OTHERWISE/END
programming construct logic that gets interpreted, executed and the results are
immediately presented, either in "detail" or the "summary" database
files/tables.

It's all about what is absolutely assessing and stating what is a requirement
vs nice-to-have or not-needed that determines how a particular solution may or
may not fit the bill....

Scott Barry
SBBTech LLC