From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of Tom
Marchant
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2024 11:37 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: EBCDIC/ASCII - FTP

I have seen this before, and I am not persuaded. I find it interesting that all
of the references provided were written by Mr. Beemer himself, some of them
with another author.

Perhaps, in hindsight it would have been better if IBM had made the
System/360 an ASCII only machine. But at the time, ASCII was new and relatively
unknown. As it was, the market had generally rejected ASCII on System/360, so
the USASCII bit was removed with the introduction of
System/370 in 1970.

Both ASCII and EBCDIC are limited. ASCII, even more so because it is a
7 bit code, though there are proprietary 8 bit extensions. No one knew in 1964
that Unicode would later be designed based upon ASCII.

The claim that "A 1-to-1 translation between the two [ASCII and EBCDIC] exists"
is false.Each includes characters that are not defined in the other. This has
always been the case.

If IBM had "inflicted" ASCII on its customers in 1964, would the
System/360 have had the wide acceptance that it did? We will never know.

According to "Architecture of System/360"
https://cpb-us-w2.wpmucdn.com/sites.gatech.edu/dist/8/175/files/2015/08/IBM-360.pdf

<quote>
The reasons against such exclusive adoption was the widespread use of the BCD
code derived from and easily translated to the IBM card code. To facilitate use
of both codes, the central processing units are designed with a high degree of
code independence, with generalized code translation facilities, and with
program-selectable BCD or ASCII modes for code-dependent instructions.
Neverthe- less, a choice had to be made for the code-sensitive I/O devices and
for the programming support, and the solution was to offer both codes, fully
supported, as a user option.
Systems with either option will, of course, easily read or write I/O media with
the other code.
</quote>

Aside from that, it wasn't the "P-bit", but the A bit.

--
Tom Marchant