From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin <0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2024 11:02 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: VTOCs vs. catalogs

On Thu, 23 May 2024 22:24:06 -0500, Mike Schwab wrote:

>VSAM came from the Future Systems development as a complete
>replacement, Lynn Wheeler has posts about that.
>It was cut back to be an addition to MVS, then combined with CVOL
>catalogs to ICF.

"complete replacement" of what, specifically?  I have heard the
assertion that VSAM was intended to replace all other access
methods:  QSAM, BSAM, BPAM, ...

I have known an OS partisan to rant hereabouts:
    The MVS catalog tells the OS exactly where a data set resides,
    whereas with UNIX the programmer must supply such information
    to access any file.

I believe he was referring to pathnames.

I have never felt that hardship.  UNIX provides alternative facilities:
o Mounted filesystems
o Symbolic links
o Directory hierarchy
o The current working directory
o Logical filesystems comprising multiple physical volumes,
  a technique MVS never mastered, partly because of
  compatibility constraints with BBCCHHR.  It was desigh
  shortsightedness to expose low-level DASD characteristics
  to high-level programmers.

Beyond that, the MVS namespace is woefully small; another
archaic and insuperable compatibility constraint.

--
gil