And just to make you laugh/groan/cry, from a book I read last night (fiction),
someone commenting on an encoded transmission:
"I'm pretty sure it's eight-bit ASCII, also known as UTF-8"

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Tony Harminc
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2024 11:26 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: EBCDIC/ASCII - FTP

On Tue, 28 May 2024 at 09:44, Paul Gilmartin <
0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> Should I Imagine that originally EBCDIC had no btackets and two
> customer cultures improvised, independently?

I'm not sure to what extent it was customer cultures vs the infamous multiple
ways of doing things within IBM. I'd say the two sets of roots are the TN print
train (for the 1403), and the 3270 character set with its early limitations on
available character generator memory. Different kinds of customers had
different requirements for characters even within the  US market, and of course
Europe had a whole 'nother requirement for accented characters. And we mustn't
forget that this is all the Data Processing Division (DPD), and in parallel
there was the Office Products Division doing its own thing.

Increasing the number of characters on a print train slows it down, while the
3270 has an architected and large set of control characters that eat into the
available display character space even if there is enough memory in the
terminal. Solutions to these two issues developed in different and incompatible
directions.

Tony H.