Johnson was a clueless idiot. Thank god he’s gone. The nines are marketing
bollocks. It doesn’t matter how robust single system availability is if your
network provider only provides 99.99. They likely offer 99.9999 but read the
small print. Credits aren’t much use if your ATM network is down.  This is the
accepted industry standard and AWS tiering offers this.

When comparing the mainframe to other platforms we should focus on the
strengths and not yap on about 9s. We don’t need to worry about the CAP
theorem, clock skew, network partition, garbage collection overruns triggering
cluster rebalancing or other distributed system nasties.