I still have some 8" IBM floppy disks on my shelf. One even auto-plays a golf game if inserted into a 3741/3742.

While the original question was on 12" disks, the information provided in the replies about 8" disks has been 'very poor'.

The university where I got my training used first 80 column cards for student programming tasks, then I was involved as an advanced MIS student in a pilot program to used diskettes. They gave us 3742s, but did not give us instructions on how to use them. We actually took the big maintenance books out of the back of machine figured out how to use them. The next semester all the MIS students used them and the card punch was retired. Some of my floppies contain class work from then.

The System-3 shop, where I had my first job at, converted all data input from 96 column cards to 8" floppy just prior to my starting. They used a 3540 reader attached to the System-3. We also transferred data from the System-3 to a System-32 (and back) using the diskettes because the System-32 also had an 8" floppy.

For the System-32, some data was retained from one month to the next using 8" floppies. One month, the previous months data was lost. I personally discovered that the person in that department used a magnet to hold the diskette to the side of a metal filing cabinet so she would not loose the diskette. (Yep, personal true story.)

When we moved to a 4331 and DOS/VS, we used the built-in diskette reader as data input. (You could remove the IML disk after the IML finished and it was then a data reader until you needed to IML again.) It's only been a few releases since z/VSE removed the 3540. Support was dropped in z/VSE 4.1 in 2006.

That was 'data use'. There was of course, a lot of places where IBM used the 8" floppy for IML, such as all the 43xx series and the 3274 controllers. (Went to smaller disks with the 3174s.)

Tony Thigpen