Alan,

Having worked with both Hitachi and IBM, for open systems storage replication,
I can say that the method for handling replication on each vendor's storage is
completely different and would not work at all with each other.  I can only
guess, that it also works that way for mainframe disk.  That company never did
replication of the mainframe storage (we just ran a ton of full volume backup
jobs, at the time).

Peter