On Mon, 2013-06-03 at 11:02 -0500, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
> (Probably.  If an interpreter
> were make its smallest unit of addressable storage 8 bytes, it could still
> address 32GiB with 32 bit addresses.  I doubt that Java is implemented in
> that fashion.)

The IBM Java implementation does precisely this.  Objects all are
doubleword aligned, so the low-order three bits of a 32-bit address are
zero.  If you enable "compressed references" then 64-bit pointers are
right-shifted into 32-bit words.  (As you note this will only work for
addresses below 32GiB.)

It's a big win for Java heap space, because 64-bit pointers increase
object size approximately 60% per Marcel Mitran.  See his IBM Java on
System z presentation at:

http://www-06.ibm.com/software/jp/zseries/events/language2011/download/pdf/02_e.pdf

--
David Andrews