There was a period during which virtual storage immediately above the
bar was not allocated.  The rationale for not doing so was that
incorrect AMODE(31) address arithmetic could yield values in that
range.

I have no personal experience of the usefulness of this convention,
but several contributors here whose judgment I trust noted that they
had found it helpful.

In any case this issue has now been parameterized.  It also perhaps
bears repeating that we are dealing here with AMODE(64) virtual
storage, of which, for now at least, we have what may properly be
called a plethora.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA