On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 08:30:46 -0500, Joel C. Ewing wrote:

>...  This makes me suspect that the current IBM
>implementation of associating the home path with a RACF userid profile
>rather than somehow with a UID-related profile violates the spirit if
>not the letter of the UNIX standards.

Yup.  But it has been written in these lists that there are other UNIX
implementations that likewise "violate" the spirit.  IBM could still
backfill with a PARMLIB option, "BPX_UIDS_UNIQUE={YES|NO}",
and enforce uniqueness at OMVS segment definition if selected.

IBM has some uncommon facilities such as the _BPX_SUPERUSER
attribute to remove the need to give multiple users UID 0.

>> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 5:53 AM, Ted MacNEIL wrote:
>>
>>> I believe it's based on the first id retrieved from the RACF database that
>>> matches.

I understand it's cached.  If only one OMVS segment has been touched
lately and all the others have aged out, you'll get that one.  Otherwise
it's more unpredictable.

Don't do that.  It hurts.  If you want data to be sharable, that's what GIDs
are for.

>>> When there are two (or more) RACF userids with the same uid in the OMVS
>>> segment, how is the value in username determined?

Years ago, there was some discussion here (perhaps Walt Farrell contributed)
that IBM seemed to be committed to making it predictable: the oldest OMVS
segment having a given UID would always be returned.  I suggested that it
would be more useful to return the OMVS segment most recently updated
because then an administrator could select from several one to be preferred
simply by making a trivial change to that OMVS segment.  This was a distinct
minority view.

In any case, neither ever happened.

-- gil