"I found the extreme bitterness of the ex-employee and ex-contractor
comments that the DICE piece had elicited even more disturbing than
the numbers of layoffs."

I found the same to be true at my last company.  One of the biggest things
the company underestimated as they made cuts was the change in attitude of
the remaining staff.  When I started the people were proud to say they
worked there and made an effort to do their best and have resilient and
reliable systems.  After the layoffs people are nearly embarrassed to admit
they work there and wind up having to leave issues unresolved because there
aren't enough people to fix them.  You only have enough time to point your
fire hose at the largest fire.  That is the difference between a company
driving toward quality and only focused on the next management bonus.  Here
is a link to a Freakonomics podcast (only about 5 minutes long) that
discusses how low wages (at least in retail, but I think it applies to all
businesses) is just a short term money maker
http://www.freakonomics.com/2012/06/14/a-cheap-employee-is-%E2%80%A6-a-cheap-employee-a-new-marketplace-podcast/

Pete Eggebeen
Senior Systems Engineer
Mainframe Storage Management
Kohl's Corporation
(920) 980-9601 (Cell)

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 6:27 AM, John Gilmore <jwgli...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I found the extreme bitterness of the ex-employee and ex-contractor
> comments that the DICE piece had elicited even more disturbing than
> the numbers of layoffs.
>
> Without perhaps meaning to do so, IBM has apparently fostered the
> growth of a strongly disaffected programming proletariat that believes
> itself to be undervalued and underpaid.
>
> Anciently, people who worked for IBM and with its equipment were among
> its strongest boosters; but this is no longer the case.
>
> Among new men, strange faces, other minds . . . The old order
> changeth, yielding place to new . . .
>
> John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This is a transmission from Kohl's Department Stores, Inc.
and may contain information which is confidential and proprietary.
If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution or use of
the contents of this message is expressly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy it and notify
us immediately at 262-703-7000.

CAUTION:
Internet and e-mail communications are Kohl's property and Kohl's reserves the
right to retrieve and read any message created, sent and received. Kohl's
reserves the right to monitor messages by authorized Kohl's Associates at any
time
without any further consent.