The regexp in IBM's C is POSIX complaint. PCRE can be much more
powerful. The IBM "sed" UNIX command only allows POSIX regexps.
Frustrates the bleep out of me. So I don't use "sed" much any more. I
use Perl itself.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 1:17 PM, Frank Swarbrick
<frank.swarbr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Not to discourage you, as I'm sure porting PCRE to z/OS is a fine idea, but
> it would not be true to say that regex processing is not available for COBOL
> (or PL/I) on z/OS.  I was looking through the IBM XL C/C++ for z/OS Run-Time
> Library Reference the other day (god knows why, since I don't even have
> access to XL C/C++) and noticed that there were some regular expression
> features.
>
> So I just took about 30 minutes and came up with this COBOL program (based on
> C code found here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1085083/regular-expressions-in-c-examples):

<snip>

--
This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System. If this had been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?

Maranatha! <><
John McKown