>Unfortunately, the overhead of allocate/open/close/free for each member
>does not yield good performance if that matters for your application.

In a previous project I had an image of a library on a Linux (my testbed)
directory.  I read that directory and processed each file separately.  I used
Rexx on Linux and it worked something like 15 minutes on 30000 files.  But our
target machine was IBM AIX machine (the fastedt machine possible according to
the client,) so when I moved the process there it would take about 4 hours (I
kid you not - and I had to process 4 libraries like that.)
The solution was to move the thing back to the mainframe (which was considered
to be a production machine as well.)  It was still painfull because of the
allocate/open/close/free mentioned above, but it took only an hour

ZA