Shiminsky, Gary wrote:

>The excuse that some  of the COBOL code was corrupted is stupid.  Really, has
>anyone ever seen decay or rust in any code?

Hmmm, after scanning my ancient COBOL progs, they're still rust free! ;-)
HSM can do wonders to package your libraries in rust-free migrated datasets,
mind you... ;-D

>Every "bug" I have ever seen has been actually some programmer's mistake.

Of course. Whoever gives a computer something faulty to do, it is that person's
fault, not the computer.

But then, someone (I wonder who?) said on IBM-MAIN, a COBOL program abended
with a S??? abend, so it is not that program, it is the SYSTEM!

It is the programmer's responsibility to fix his/her program if the issue is
indeed within the program itself. Who-ever runs that program, has to fix
anything else related to that abend or refer to the programmer if needed.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht