When I was in the Army and stationed in Korea in the early 70 due to a
payroll error I had to get "advances".  Then they started taking the
advances out of my pay before they even fixed the problem making matters
worst.

COBOL is not at fault in this issue.  It is incompetence. It is poor
management, probably managers who shouldn't have been in data processing
to begin with.  How else would you loss all the documentation except for
fire and water.  COBOL, though fairly old, can be well written by a
competent skilled programmers, having done that early on in my career.
The excuse that some  of the COBOL code was corrupted is stupid.  Really,
has anyone ever seen decay or rust in any code?  Did it have bugs? No.
Every "bug" I have ever seen has been actually some programmer's mistake.

Gary

Gary L. Shiminsky
Senior zVM/zVSE Systems Programmer
Mainframe Technical Support Group
Department of Information Technology
State of New Hampshire
27 Hazen Drive
Concord, NH 03301
603-271-1509     Fax 603-271-1516

Statement of Confidentiality: The contents of this message are
confidential.  Any unauthorized disclosure, reproduction, use
or dissemination (either whole or in part) is prohibited.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message,
please notify the sender immediately and delete the message
from your system.