>I think you should abandon the idea of trying to replicate perl syntax.
>Perl makes me want to hurl, it's user hostile.  I just copied the API
>functions
>like match, search, replace and implemented a command for each one.
>I could and should have added functionality to process an entire stem array
>or file for efficiency.

I would not argue about the merits or lack of them thereof of Perl, that's a
matter of taste.

I wanted to port the PHP implementation of PCRE interface to z/OS, which would
translate into few well defined functions, similar to the suggestion above.
But that proved to be too big of a task because the source code dependencies
went too deep to the core PHP source and I did not want to port PHP to z/OS.

If you want to develop such API from scratch (and I suggest you should look
into PHP as a model), than by all means, it should work.

If we have enough people in the project, than we may re-visit my PHP idea some
time.

ZA