On 4/08/2013 10:38 PM, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:
In <1229979691582383.wa.zatlas1yahoo....@listserv.ua.edu>, on
08/04/2013
    at 12:59 AM, "Ze'ev Atlas" <zatl...@yahoo.com> said:

The world of text editor users is divided into three groups, those
that believe that vi is God's gift to humanity, those that believe
that vi is a bug, not a feature, and those that use ISPF
While I admit to using an SPF clone[1] on my PC, I believe that emacs
is more common. As to vi, it may well be The Editor From Hell, but it
is also the only editor that you can count on finding in an arbitrary
*ix system. So keep[2] vi.

There are also a number of other editors that some people swear by.

[1] Tritus SPF

[2] Far from me

You don't mention Eclipse which is free and has C/C++ editors for free. SMB or NFS mounts make this a piece of cake. I'm a Slickedit user which supports all mainframe languages, even HLASM.