From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Staller, Allan
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2013 2:14 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z10 Memory

I don't know about 3rd party support, but if you have minimal storage config
(32GB) a different chip is used.
The upgrade from 32GB to >32GB requires replacement of *ALL* memory chips and a
disruptive outage.

HTH,
<snip>
Since IBM dropped the z10 from marketing, it seems impossible to get anything
done to the box from them.  Does anyone know if it is possible to acquire
memory, from a third party, and have it put in the z10 and be actually
operational?   I'm told everything is done via microcode now and IBM won't even
update that on z10's...the memory will be there but the microcode isn't set to
use it.
</snip>