This exposure has been known--and discussed publicly--for several years.
It is NOT true that 'passwords are not stored'. If they weren't 'stored'
at all, then how could RACF validate the password you supply? They are in
fact stored in encrypted form. The encryption method itself is not a state
secret. It can be simulated.

The brute force method alluded to here starts with a copy of a RACF data
base. Then generated character strings are fed into an encryption program
until the encrypted form of some random string matches what's found in the
data base for a given userid. Voila. The password has been hacked.

Once upon a time, it would have taken so long to perform this string match
that passwords would likely have changed in the meantime. Nowadays
computers all the way down to smart phones have gotten faster while the
encryption algorithms have remained the same. There is to my knowledge no
canonical defense for this hacking method. Best you can do is to prevent
the data base from being copied in the first place.

As for what to do with the 'culprit', did he abscond with data or commit
some other mischief? Or did he reveal his activity to management as a
wake-up call? The news today is replete with tales of 'ethical hackers'.
Should we lock them up or bestow medals? Motivation is everything.

.
.
JO.Skip Robinson
Southern California Edison Company