He's absolutely right.  I had this problem with our Multi-System notification
product and it drove me nuts for a while.  My final solution, and it has worked
perfectly for over 18 months now, was to create a NTOK and fill it with stuff I
wanted to pass between all of the pieces, and when I was going to terminate, I
updated the area, then gave myself 7 seconds before I actually ended the owning
space to give the other pieces time to see that something was about to change.
It's very efficient, and using the NTOK is negligeable overhead.  At shutdown,
no one complains about the extra 7 seconds, especially since I put out a
message telling them about it and it also gives me the ability to stop the
shutdown if something important is going on.  It's one extra little thing to
worry about, but it's far better than having 200+ sites complain about the
ABEND. :)

Brian