From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Peter Relson
Sent: 26 August 2013 08:10
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Hints needed on abend 0D6-027

All of the responses have been on target.

One point in the original post was not addressed:
>The PC number we are calling is X'00017F00'
>which implies an ET index of X'F00'; is that sane?

Nope, this implies an ET index of x'00'.  The Entry Index in a PC number is
8 bits. The LX is 17F. The Linkage Index ranges from 12 bits to 24,
depending on the availability of the reusable ASN and LX facility (z/OS
supports only up to an LX of 16 bits, but does let you indicate that your
application supports up to 24 by the LXSIZE operand of LXRES).

As was posted, it is probably not possible to fully prevent this abend. A
well-written application will make the likelihood as small as possible by
having the PC number (or at least the LX) contained in some control block
that the PC issuer checks before issuing the PC (to see "is the target still
available") -- load the LX/PC, check it, and proceed only if it appears
valid -- and that the terminating application changes to a value understood
by the PC issuer as "target is not available" as far as possible before
termination gets to the point of the invalidation of the LX (a similar
protocol involves some "availability bit" owned by the application that gets
tested prior to issuing the PC)

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN