> You could resolve such ambiguities---There are many of them---if you had
an ISO country code at hand too.  Do you?

Does the software at run time? I have not rooted around. Possibly --
probably at some sites yes, and at some sites no, they didn't set it (not
unlike TZ and _TZ!). The one thing I am sure I have is a TZ value, either
pre-existing, or passed to me as a character string that I then use to set
TZ.

I guess the software is not in the business of mind-reading people who use
incorrect or obsolete time zone abbreviations. GIGO and all that. If they
tell me EST and it's really AEST, well, no my fault, mon. strftime() %Z will
probably report EST. GIGO.

I see here http://www.timeanddate.com/library/abbreviations/timezones/ that
AMT means +4 in Armenia and -4 in the Amazon. But does it matter to my
software? If a customer specifies TZ=AMT4AMST won't localtime() work
correctly, adjusting UTC by 3 or 4 hours on the assumption that he is in
Armenia (and not be confused by the possibility he is actually in the
Amazon)?

I hope not to have this thread get into a whole digression on the vagaries
of local time in general. My real questions are

- what *sort* of value is supposed to be in timezone_name? Something like
EST, or, for example, something like "Eastern Standard Time," or ... ?
- assuming e.g. EST is what is supposed to be in timezone_name, what is the
best way of getting it from TZ to timezone_name?

I'm going to start taking after Gil. I'm going to start signing my posts "I
hate local time."

Charles