It is your thread, and I have no wish to hijack it.  This will
therefore be my last post for it.

I chose Australian local times advisedly.  They illustrate the
differences between Daylight|Summer|Official times and Standard ones
in the northern and southern hemispheres.

You mentioned that you needed to revise your 'parsing' of such strings
as 'AMT4AMST', and I perhaps interpreted this too literally.  If you
are always handing off such strings to someone else, you need not take
any responsibility for 'errors' in them.

If you are going to try to make sense of them, then you need to
understand such differing conventions as those embodied in

MSK, Moscow Standard Time
MSD, Moscow Daylight Time

WET, Western European Time
WEST, Western European Summer Time

EST, Eastern Standard Time (United States)
EDT, Eastern Daylight Time (United States)

I have been down this road; and great care must, for example, be taken
to disentangle the 'S' for Summer and the 'S' for Standard, assuming
always that you are not delegating the responsibility for doing so to
someone else.

Good luck!

--
John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA