On 2013-09-09, at 08:11, R.S. wrote:

>> On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 08:47:20 -0500, Ray Overby wrote:
>>
>>> There is a software product called z/Assure Vulnerability Analysis
>>> Product that will allow a z/OS installation to identify
>>> exposures/vulnerabilities in IBM, ISV, and installation written code.
>>>
> I guess, only those which are know to the author. Or subset of them
> "implemented" in the tool.
>
>>> With this software product you can systematically check to see if an
>>> exposure has been introduced with maintenance or a new release.
>>
> I don't know the tool, but I can imagine that in order to use it one needs
> extra atuhorities.
> See IBM DSMON reporting tool - you have to be authorized to use it.

I would guess that in accord with IBM's policies such a tool
would report only vulnerabilities for which IBM has a repair,
and perhaps report only the fixing APAR number, not the nature
of the vulnerability.

But it's possible that the intended (fe)malefactor has full access
to a test system which is a twin of the secured target system in
order to develop penetration tools.

-- gil